Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Down To The Coals...

In this trial by fire
this life in a blaze
every flame will tire
choking in a haze

Everything burns or
is burned by it all
Everyone's consumed
or frozen in an early Fall

See all these burned-out faces
seared with scar-like expressions
See all these melt-down places
molded in charred-out impressions

They're all down to the coals
& on the way to a frozen hell
Old mountains smolder as knolls
wafting a cauterized smog-smell

Of course I've been burning too
in my fever to stay warm
but my flame now barely flickers
under a dark & gathering storm

Now I'm down to the coals
and I'm smoldering away
In need of some fuel to find me
beneath these ashes in the way

An acid rain pours down
from a polluted sky that cries
Its rain-tears slowly drown
as all these fires euripize
Is this sky's wrath vindictive
or is this flood sympathetic?
Failing flames agonize to agnise

And it's all down to the coals
-unto ashes or back with flames
As it's been so many times
there's what has burned
& what burns yet still remains

No comments:

Post a Comment