Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Giving In...

I should have given up by now
That's what the dark voices all say,
snickering in the shadows of my soul
They give me excuses to just quit
They've got reasons why its ok
They tell me I'd be better off
if I just cut my many loses,
forgot my absurd ambitions,
and accepted the inevitability
of entropy and failure
They tell me it's time
to just give in...

I could easily listen to them
They do make plenty of sense
If I were to just figure all the facts
and look at my life like an inventory
I'm sure I would be more wealthy
I'd be more respected and admired
I'd be closer to all the many things
that everyone is supposed to aspire
I'd be a much better statistic
than I 've been at being- me
I could easily accept this as truth
I really could just give in...

I would do it too
I really would give in
If I hadn't already given myself up
and signed my life away to these dreams 
that make life feel as if it were alive and lived
I truly would give in to anything else
if there really were anything else
but I already learned that lesson
I already gave in to all that before
I know what waits out there
in that world of facts and figures
I know what it considers truth
and I know I can't surrender 
what little illumination 
I sometimes find
to that dimness
I can't do that
-just give in
Not to that
Not yet
Never?

Never
-say never?
I'll say it now
I'll say it again
-Never, -Never
I've already given in
It's too late not to live
It's never too late to refuse
to give in to what gives nothing back
There will always be more time to give in
once there's nothing left for time to steal away
That's the best thing I think I could ever take
That's the only thing that it won't take away
The only life you can keep from death
is the life you live without giving in,
the life you force it to try and take
and laugh when it finally does
only to clutch at nothing
and scowl back at you
as your grave laughs
and the stone above
envies how you
refused to just
give in...

No comments:

Post a Comment