Friday, May 5, 2023

Summer Set The World On Fire...


I need more than summer
to thaw my shivering soul
I need to end more than winter
to close this devouring hole
I need the hope of an immortal spring
to make my muted spirit sing
I need a postponement of the fall
to believe in life 
to believe at all

The sun is spinning
as our world keeps turning
Our lives are ending
while we keep yearning
Round and round we go
Feigning and failing
as if we'll ever know
What comes next
or what's the point
beyond another 
cyclical segno

Summer sunlight
shine on my shadow-soul
Mystic moonlight
make the night feel full
Burn away the darkness
Bring fire to the dawn
Let fireflies flash and fade
As our own lives are so betrayed
But burn away the darkness now
and bring fire to the dawn
however long that we may live
inside this summer's song

Go ahead and bring the heat
that makes sweat soak 
from brow to feet
Scorch my skin till it peels red
Melt a hole right through my head
My blood may boil as I bleed
but from the cold, my soul be freed
I'd sooner be consumed by flame
than frozen in some final frame

The Phoenix rises from the ashes
as the frozen fall in avalanches
Wake this world from frozen sleep
There is no time we'll ever keep
The life we live will melt away
we cannot shade it from that day

Summer set my soul ablaze
Let me burn until I fade
I need no winter to preserve me
No ever-after to detour me
I need only shine while I am here
and fade away without a fear
that my time wasn't bright enough
or anything more could be enough

Cicada's scream, and shriek, and sing
declaring the ancient truths of everything
They emerge from where we fail to know
but may imagine all our fates will flow
when the summer song is silenced cold
and winter whispers things so old
that only the darkness may remember
from its abysmal first December

Summer wake this frozen place
from frigid slumber and disgrace
Bring the light, and let it shine
Illuminate these eyes of mine
So they may see a world awaken
Not blizzard-dreams of things forsaken
Summer song, sound your alarm
to thaw us from all frozen harm
Summer set the world on fire
Burn brighter than our dark desire
Until the winter's funeral pyre
summer set the world on fire

No comments:

Post a Comment