Thursday, September 10, 2015

Well Grounded...

The roof above me
is someone's floor
The ground beneath me
always wants more
The skies beyond this
are like a locked door
These walls that confine us
hold little in store

I'm well grounded
and insulated too
however dumbfounded
by anything new
I won't be confounded
but remain tried and true

Foundations are sturdy
having been built to last
and the grass is lush verde
fertilized by those past
their stories so wordy
for such subtle contrast

I'm well grounded
they would say
however well founded
Stagnant by day
at night self-impounded
they'd stay out of the way
of the life there surrounded

Skies are so shifty
and air is quite thin
heights may be nifty
but cost you your skin
so it's best to be thrifty
and avoid much chagrin

I'm well grounded
and safe from the sky
I'm also well rounded
and not built to fly
so I'll not be astounded
till the day I should die
and then so unfounded
I'll dare to ask why

Why would I die
with my feet on the ground
Why would I lie
my dead body aground
Why would I try
to believe death's profound

I'll be well grounded
from the death I'll have lived
I'll be well grounded
through a life left un-lived
I'll be well grounded
and so very shortlived

No comments:

Post a Comment