Monday, January 5, 2015

Life's Work...

I pointed out a pile
of assorted notebooks
and declared it was
my life's work

She went though them
Some she liked
Others...
 not so much
Then she found
   the blank ones

"What gives?"
  She asked.
"I thought you said
this was your life's work."

I laughed.
"Well, I didn't say I was finished."

She laughed.
"You'd better get on with it then.
There's a lot of empty ones here."

I laughed louder.
"I'm not in any rush to fill those pages.
They'll see me emptied-out soon enough.
Besides, I said it was my life's work.
I'm not even sure it still is.
Those pages might be better off
without my words filling them up."

She laughed loudest.
"What's fulfilling though?"
She asked.

I didn't have a good answer,
so I just laughed too,
but not as loud.
We both laughed like this
for some time.

I don't know when it was
that we stopped laughing,
and it hardly matters
who laughed last,
but now I hope
that wasn't the
last laugh
over my
life's
work
(ha-
ha)
...

No comments:

Post a Comment