Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Something (not a love song)...

I wrote a love song
but this isn't it
I wrote one for you
that you probably won't get
As I wrote what I meant
to a dissatisfying extent

It sits in a stack
of pages in piles
In there somewhere
with masked frowns & dark smiles
caged in some code
of slight-of-hand styles

All I had was a name
and a thumbful of tunes
to dream of this song
that each word just imputes

I think that it's there
between the lines of this heap
the meaning, not words
I'd intended to keep

I wish I could find it
and show it to you
I wish you could read it
read the words and see through
Through the masks & the tricks
of elaborate disguise
I wish I could see its
affect in your eyes 

I'm sure that I've got it
or I hope that I do
Even if it's forever
I'll never have you 

So until I can find
all the words of this song
I'll just try to write this
as if it belongs
for I haven't much else
though I've plenty that longs
I hope this is hopeful
not hazard that wrongs 

For this is not love
nor much of a tune
just a form of amusement
for some stark-raving lune

If you've read this 
I'm sorry 
It's probably not for you
but if it is
then I'm mortified
and know not what to do
So goodbye now, I'm sorry, 
and must bid you adieu
until later or never
this one's for you

No comments:

Post a Comment